Friday, April 13, 2007

Do not say the name Imus in my presence

It's not so much that I dislike what he said about the Rutgers women's basketball team. It's certainly not that it WAS the Rutgers women's basketball team. (My father, however, might have something different to say about that from wherever he is sitting around watching modern journalists and pundits make assholes out of themselves.)

But if anyone thinks the whole concept of hate speech will end by firing Don Imus, they are delusional. And the way this is being handled in the media, all the coverage and fanfare, leads me to think that is exactly how it's being played. Fire Imus=end hate speech. Translation, nothing Michael "Drooling" Savage says, nothing Rush Limpballs, nothing Billy Boy O'clammy says can be considered hate speech because......they fired Don Imus, dammit!

So now I'm avoiding watching the news at all just so I can avoid seeing more of the media's self-congratulatory analysis of the firing of Don Imus. If there's anything important in the news between now and, say, the end of next week, would someone please let me know? Thanks.

Oh, and AAR has cancelled Sam Seder's daily show. Life is just not getting any better, ya know?

No comments: