Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Gypsy and the Very Healthy Cookies

I wanted cookies today. I looked around for ingredients and made a sad, sad, discovery. I had only one egg left. And it's raining. Not the usual always misty and occasional shower raining. This is downpour from hell raining. There was no way I was going to leave the house. Even Faraday doesn't want to go outside, and he loves to go outside to bark at the neighbors' cats and anyone he might hear passing by.

While looking through my pantry cupboard I found a small container of strained carrots. I think I bought that to make a carrot cake because I was too lazy to shred carrots, and then ended up making something entirely different.

I poked around a bit trying to find a carrot cookies recipe that didn't use eggs. The best I could find was vegan cookie recipes that use commercial egg replacers. And I haven't got any of those on hand, either.

What I do have, and in abundance, is flax meal (ground flax seed.) Flax meal is said to be a good substitute for egg. I took a chance and started throwing ingredients into a bowl until the consistency looked right.

The result is yummy. Once you read the recipe you'll realize how healthy this is. But do try these. They're very tender and won't ship well but they're worth having on hand.


Good For You Carrot Cookies
Makes 1 dozen

1 Tb flax meal
1/3 to 1/2 C water
3 TB neutral flavor oil
small (I'm thinking this was 2 oz) container strained carrot baby food
1/2 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 C each unbleached white and whole wheat flour
1/4 C wheat or oat bran
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
dash salt
1 Tb ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 C raisins

Combine flax meal and water and allow to stand a few minutes. Add the oil, the carrots, the sugar, and the vanilla extract and mix well. Sift together the flours and the baking powder. (Okay, you caught me. I don't do that. But it's what you're supposed to say in recipes) and add to the wet ingredients. Stir in all the dry ingredients except raisins. Adjust water or flour as needed to get a soft but stiff dough. Fold in raisins.

Drop by tablespoonful on greased baking sheet, or on a foil lined baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until baked through. They won't brown much due to low fat and sugar content. Allow to cool at least 5 minutes before tasting.

The following was calculated at http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp, where I substituted cooked carrot slices for the baby food because, for some reason, this site doesn't consider baby food an ingredient.


Nutrition Facts

User Entered Recipe

12 Servings

Amount Per Serving
Calories 84.2
Total Fat 3.9 g
Saturated Fat 0.3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.1 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 78.8 mg
Potassium 87.8 mg
Total Carbohydrate 13.2 g
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
Sugars 10.0 g
Protein 0.6 g

Vitamin A 22.4 %
Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
Vitamin B-6 2.2 %
Vitamin C 1.0 %
Vitamin D 0.0 %
Vitamin E 4.2 %
Calcium 4.8 %
Copper 1.9 %
Folate 0.6 %
Iron 3.4 %
Magnesium 2.8 %
Manganese 13.5 %
Niacin 1.4 %
Pantothenic Acid 0.4 %
Phosphorus 3.4 %
Riboflavin 1.1 %
Selenium 1.5 %
Thiamin 1.5 %
Zinc 0.9 %



*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.


If you try the recipe, please let me know how you liked it.



Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments: